Saturday, July 6, 2013

book review! Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman: Endless Nights"



First off, this is not your regular 200-300 page novel. This is is a 152 page work of artistic and linguistic genius. I read this graphic novel before I read "Preludes and Nocturnes", which basically introduced the characters. "Endless Nights" is made up of seven chapters, each dedicated to an aspect of life and all of them start with the letter "D".



First is Death, a short story about the never-ending party in Venice. Second is Desire, and the pain suffered from pursuing it. Third is Dream, and the conflicts of reality and the dreamworld. Fourth is Despair, and the causes and effects of it on many different levels. Fifth is Delirium, and the confusion and hidden happiness found there. Sixth is Destruction, and the portrayal of  the positive side that no one sees. And finally the seventh chapter is on Destiny, and the struggle between its ambiguity and the future.

I don't want to give too much away here because reading "Endless Nights" without knowing too much about it is what really made it have such an impact on me. When I started reading, I was confused because each chapter didn't seem to relate to the next. But by the end, I finally had it figured out and I wanted to read more.



There are many different graphic novels and short stories under the title of The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, and I encourage you to read as many as possible! I started and finished "Preludes and Nocturnes" and now I plan to finish the four book series after it and continue on. Neil Gaiman is a genius with plot and with imagery, and I promise that if you enjoy books that challenge what literature is, you will not be disappointed here.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment